It seems that the Yankees struggles with Runners In Scoring Position is going to be a season long topic. Despite this problem, the team has still managed to climb to the top of the AL East.
Along with only winning one game this season when the team doesn’t hit a home run, it seems that the naysayers are bent on riding these things to the Yankees eventual doom. We spend a lot of time talking about all of the things that the Yankees can improve on. And it seems that we have lost sight of some of the exceptional things they are doing in 2012. As summer begins, and a child’s fancy turns to long sunny days and baseball, I thought that we should take a look at ten things the Yankees are doing right.
1) The Yankees have continued their dominance of Interleague play and are now 10-0 vs. the NL East (Including sweeps of both Division leading Washington and the Crosstown rival Mets).
2) The Yankees 14-2 record in the month of June is the best in Baseball.
3) A season long ten game winning streak (first since 2005) in which every team the Yankees have faced has had a record above .500. It is the first time in franchise history that the Yankees have had a run such as this. It’s an impressive feat for any team. It’s even more impressive for this team, considering it’s rich history.
4) The Yankees starters have gone at least six innings in the last eighteen games. The longest streak of any Yankee team since 1981. Remember when the rotation was a concern?
5) The Yankees sit atop the AL East (Arguably the toughest division in baseball) and are a season high fifteen games over .500.
6) For an “Old” team, they have the highest fielding percentage in the Majors. Not only are they making the plays they are supposed to, they are flashing some leather as well.
7) Their bullpen has survived Mariano Rivera’s season ending injury, and really has excelled. It has even survived injuries to Robertson and Chamberlain.
8) The Yankees lead the Majors with 101 home runs. Don’t let the pundits get you down about this. How do you think they got the nickname “Bronx Bombers”? The Yankees have always hit a lot of home runs. They have also always won a lot of games. I don’t see either changing soon.
9) For all the talk about their failures with Runners In Scoring Position, this Yankees team continues to find a way to win. No matter how far they are behind in a game.
10) They lead the Majors with twenty one road victories. As anyone can tell you, playing well on the road is a necessity for a Championship team.
So, there you have it. Do the Yankees have issues? Yes, they do. But in a league where it seems every team has holes, the Yankees are doing just fine. So sit back, relax, enjoy this run that they are on. After all, it’s summertime and this is baseball. It’s supposed to be fun!